What to Bring

What to Bring
What should you bring to Truman? Preparing for to move into new home on campus doesn’t have to be stressful when you plan ahead. The list below offers suggestions on what to bring. Don’t forget to check in with your roommate to see what they are bringing so you don’t waste space on duplicate items.

For your room

  • a mattress pad and liner
  • bed linens (standard twin), pillow, blanket and bedspread
  • towels and washcloths
  • shower curtain (except for community style housing)
  • alarm clock or clock radio
  • toiletries
  • hair dryer, curling iron
  • cleaning products
  • air freshener
  • toilet paper (except for community style housing)
  • UL extension cords not to exceed 6’ in length, 15 AMP minimum
  • non-halogen desk lamp, floor, or bedside lamp for reading and studying
  • wastebasket
  • organizer/storage units or boxes, such as under-the-bed boxes
  • lockable safe
  • computer (computer work stations are also available for use)

For your wardrobe

  • clothes hangers
  • laundry basket
  • ironing board and iron
  • detergent and dryer sheets

For mishaps, emergencies, and general “fix-its”

  • first-aid kit or sewing kit
  • flashlight
  • small tool kit (screw driver, hammer, pliers, etc.)
    • extra batteries

For getting around

  • bicycle
  • skates
  • umbrella
  • backpack
  • good walking shoes
  • boots for wet or snowy weather
  • light jacket and a warm coat

For study breaks and relaxing

  • television
  • DVD player & movies
  • video game consoles & video games
  • sports equipment (balls, sports shoes, bat, etc.)

To make your new room feel more like home

  • posters
  • photos of family, friends and pets
  • indoor plants
  • fan
  • utensils for snacks
  • favorite coffee or tea mug

Note: Truman is a dry campus. We do not allow any alcohol beverage containers (empty or full) in the residence hall rooms.

What not to bring…

  • Pets except for fish or small amphibians as as they are nonpoisonous and live in a tank that is less than 30 gallons.
  • Air Conditioning: Blanton-Nason-Brewer Hall, Campbell Apartments, Missouri Hall, Randolph Apartments, Ryle Hall and West Campus Suites have air conditioning. Students who request air conditioning for Centennial Hall must meet the criteria for a disability and submit the appropriate documentation to the Office of Student Access and Disability so their request can be considered. Questions? Call (660) 785-4478 or email disabilityservices.truman.edu.

For more information, visit the Residence Life website or contact the Residence Life Office at (660) 785-4227 or reslife@truman.edu.