For your room…
- a mattress pad and liner
- bed linens (standard twin), pillow, blanket and bedspread
- towels and washcloths
- shower curtain (except for Dobson, Missouri and Ryle Hall rooms 3301-09, 4301-09, 5301-09)
- alarm clock or clock radio
- hair dryer, curling iron
- cleaning products
- air freshener
- toilet paper (except for students placed in Dobson, Missouri and Ryle Hall rooms 3301-09, 4301-09, 5301-09)
- UL extension cords not to exceed 6’ in length, 15 AMP minimum
- non-halogen desk lamp, floor, or bedside lamp for reading and studying
- organizer/storage units or boxes, such as under-the-bed boxes
- lockable safe
- computer (computer work stations are also available for use)
For your wardrobe…
- clothes hangers
- laundry basket
- ironing board and iron
- detergent and dryer sheets
For mishaps, emergencies, and general “fix-its”…
- first-aid kit or sewing kit
- small tool kit (screw driver, hammer, pliers, etc.)
- extra batteries
For getting around the area…
- good walking shoe
- boots for wet or snowy weather
- light jacket and a warm coat
For study breaks and relaxing…
- radio, stereo, ipod, or portable CD player
- small television
- player & movies
- game stations & video games
- sports equipment (balls, sports shoes, bat, etc.)
To make your new room feel more like home…
- photos of family and friends
- indoor plants
- utensils for snacks
- favorite coffee or tea mug
- Note: Truman is a dry campus. We do not allow any alcohol beverage containers (empty or full) in the residence hall rooms.
You Could Also Bring…
- small couch/futon
Remember that space is limited, and that any University furniture that is in your room when you arrive must stay in your room. Storing residence hall furniture outside of its original room is prohibited.
What Not To Bring…
- Pets except for fish or small amphibians as long as they are nonpoisonous and live in a tank that is less than 30 gallons.
- Air conditioners are not permitted unless the student presents a new prescriptive letter every academic year from a medical family practice physician or allergist (M.D. or D.O.) by Aug. 1.
Looking for more information?
Download our Residence Life Booklet (PDF) which is packed with helpful information for new students.
Have questions about Residence Life or On-Campus Housing?
Contact the Residence Life Office at (660) 785-4227 or firstname.lastname@example.org.