Majors Welcome: Justice Systems
Friday, Aug. 18, 2017
Barnett Hall 2224
Justice Systems faculty have experience in policing, corrections, offender treatment, forensic science, juvenile justice, prosecution, and courts- martial.
- Our diverse faculty have received their degrees from both private and public institutions.
- Faculty members are professionally active at the local, state, and national levels. For example, they are or have been members of:
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- The American Corrections Association
- American Society of Criminology
- Board of Directors of the Midwest Innocence Project
- The Missouri and Adair County Bar Associations
- Missouri Assoc of Crime Lab Directors
- Missouri Juvenile Justice Association
- The National Coalition of Juvenile Justice
- The National Gang Survey Advisory Board
- Western Society of Criminology
- Justice Systems is the name of Truman’s criminal justice program. The name connotes our liberal arts and sciences mission, to cultivate integrity, critical thinking, and skill in problem solving, writing, and speaking. Receive great preparation for graduate school and leadership positions.
- Be provided with a solid disciplinary foundation with integrated development of knowledge and skills feeding into a method and theory core. Explore a range of special topics in upper level courses.
- Interact in courses that have less than 35 students; the average class size is 25 students.
Beyond the Classroom
- Compete at local regional and national levels as part of the Mock Trial Team sponsored by the American Mock Trial Association.
- Compete in academic, physical agility, crime scene investigations, and
competitions at regional and national conferences with the Justice Systems chapter of Lambda Alpha Epsilon.
- Engage with visiting professionals in the field, visit prisons, and sponsor charitable events through the Truman chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the national honor society for students of criminal justice.
- Receive LSAT test preparation, and weekly activities including local and out of town guest speakers in the Pre-Law Club.
- Help host the annual Court of Appeals for the Western District of Missouri on Truman’s campus.
- Conduct undergraduate research on campus, either with a Truman faculty member or as an independent research project. Present at regional and national conferences with faculty.Are you highly motivated? Propose and even teach a course in your area of interest under the guidance of a faculty member through a Student Initiated Course.
Some of the best internship opportunities can be found in your hometown police department, Public Defender’s office, prosecuting attorney’s office, juvenile centers, and drug rehabilitation centers.
Facilities and Technology
- Our teaching laboratory is adjacent to a functional crime lab equipped for chemical analyses, latent print work, and microscopic examination.
- A student-centered area near the department offices includes an open computer lab and a study area with tables and chairs where students and faculty can gather, study, and socialize.
After the Degree
- Approximately 40% of our graduates attend graduate or law school and the other 60% enter the work force.
- Pursue graduate level programs like: University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Missouri-St. Louis, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, St. Louis University, and Western Illinois University.
- Join alumni who are employed at the following entities: St. Louis County Police Department, Kansas City Police Department, Mark Twain Behavioral Health, Preferred Family Healthcare, Target, U.S. Army, and Missouri Highway Patrol.